Thursday, February 16, 2012

Miller: Month Four



Miller had his 4 month appointment. The doctor says he looks great. He had shots and I was actually looking forward to them so that maybe he would sleep. Nope, after a nap in the car, he was in a great mood. Of course, he then woke up and screamed for the next few hours. It was awful! I was so sad for him but them frustrated because crying will not make anything better but mommy's cuddles would if he would have just calmed down.

His head is still off the charts and the doctor said he is fine because it is following the curve but they will check it again in 2 months. I asked him what would be a reason to be concerned. He said that he could have hydrocephalus but he would show other symptoms of that by now. I pointed out that Ben has a big head and mine is not tiny and he is sure that it is just a hereditary ginormous head. We were cleared to try solids but we are going to wait until he 6 months to do that. Now to your regularly scheduled update.

Weight: 16lbs 4 oz (+8lbs 2 oz- doubled his birth weight exactly)- 75% percentile

Height: 25.75" (+ 4.25")- 75% percentile

Head: 18" (+3")- off the charts

Sleep: He is so inconsistent but not a bad sleeper. Two weeks ago he was having two 45 minute naps and one long 2-3 hour nap. Last week, he would take mostly four 45 minute naps. Some nights he would sleep 7 hours and only eats once at night, others he eats 2-3 times at night. This week has been terrible. I fight to get him to sleep, then he only sleeps for 30 minutes and wakes up crabby. He is also sleeping at night but not very well which keeps me up. Plus his cry has developed into a shriek so it is even harder to ignore. They say this is normal at this stage and regulates more after 6 months, I just wish we had more consistency so we could plan more during the day.

Eating: Nothing out of the ordinary. Every 2-3 hours on both sides. Sometimes if we are out, he can go a little bit longer but normally he is consistent. He has recently started spending less time eating so I think he is becoming more efficient at it.

Best Moment: Him laughing makes me so happy but even better is when he does it to Ben. Daddy-son bonding is hard in the beginning because I have to do most everything for Miller, so anything that gets those two boys bonding makes me happy.

Milestones: As I have mentioned before, a few weeks ago he laughed. He is not doing it all the time but I know he will eventually. He is rolling over from belly to back, and almost the other way. Also, he is working on sitting up on his own.

Monthly Wisdom: (So I kind of hate this question and did while I was pregnant. I feel like it is the same. Cherish this stage. This too shall pass. I am not a bad mom. Blah, blah, blah.) I have really been missing being pregnant and have had to be talked off the ledge with starting again but I realize that I need to cherish Miller and all his firsts. He has so many exciting things on the horizon that I am not sure I could enjoy them and being pregnant equally. When he is a little bit older, it will be easier to do both.

Goals for the Upcoming Month:
- Sleeping in his crib (check), now just to get him to take longer naps in there. I am sticking to my guns and not letting him sleep anywhere but the crib, even if he only sleeps a short time. That is HIS bed!!
- Mommy is going to try to get out more without Miller. The gym once a week and maybe to see friends (although they all like seeing Miller too).
- Another date exchange with Heather and Steve.

No comments:

Post a Comment