Thursday, January 2, 2014

Scarlett's Birth Story

So I have been noticeably absent from the blog for a few weeks now. I am sure you can guess why.


Miss Scarlett June made her arrival on December 13th at 3:29AM. 

It has been a crazy few weeks. Scarlett had jaundice that had us spending some extra time in the hospital. After that, we were only home for 5 days before we left for Christmas in TN. Then when we got to TN, every day was spent getting ready for the holidays, holiday activities, getting ready for her baptism, having her baptism and party, and visiting with family. Not to mention that everything that has happened since going into labor was somehow complicated and took about 10 times more time and energy than it should (lots of long stories that you do not want to hear). 

Anyways, I wanted to share her birth story. It is the abbreviated version since the one that I wrote out was 8 pages long, but it is still pretty long.

On Thursday, December 12th, my due date, I woke up at 9:00AM to Miller talking over  the monitor. I rolled out of bed and went in his room to get him. As I was walking out, I felt something on my leg and looked down. There was a trickle of water and I realized that I was soaked. It was not a gush so I was not convinced it was my water. Mom and I started to get ready and pack up for the hospital. I called my doctor and they wanted me to go to the hospital to get checked out. We dropped Miller off at my friend Lindsey's house and met Ben at the hospital at 12:30. 

We waited for an hour and 45 minutes and we were so confused as to why they could not just triage me quickly. We just wanted  to see if my water had in fact broken. They finally took me back to a room, hooked me up to the monitors and it was like they were admitting me. I finally asked and they said they do not really have a triage and this is how they do things. We thought it was strange. They did two tests that said that my water did not break but that still left the question, what was that leaking. I was still only dilated 2cm, which I had been for weeks. I felt like after everything we had been through to get there, I was being pushed to just go ahead and be induced and I really did not want to be.

Hooked up to the monitors and IV.

They called my doctor and she recommended that I walk the hallways to see if that might help things along. Ben and I walked for 45 minutes and all the nurses said they were surprised how speedy we were. They hooked me back up to the monitors and my contractions started coming every 5-7 minutes, which was the most regular they had ever been between either of the kids. We went back walking again and they started coming every 3.5-4 minutes. They hooked me back up to the monitors and my contractions practically stopped. I was so frustrated and kept crying because I did not know what to do. I really just wanted a sign that I was in labor and needed to stay there. 

Around 6, my doctor came in and checked me. I was shocked when she told me that I was dilated 4cm. She also said that my water was bulging. She was afraid to send us home in rush hour because she was pretty sure that I would be back soon. That was what I needed to hear. I had gone from 2 to 4cm in just a couple of hours. As for the leaking, she confirmed what mom tried  to tell me and that I had a high leak.  My water broke but then the membrane had covered my cervix back up. I needed to stay and have this baby. Especially since I test GBS positive and needed two rounds of antibiotics.

Things continued to move slowly. At 8PM, she broke my water. At 9:30PM we started pitocin. At some point we facetimed with Miller who was staying with Heather, Steve, Isla and Ruby. That was our first night apart and it broke my heart but I knew he was in great hands. My contractions started coming 1-2 minutes apart and I was having trouble breathing through them. I was about 6cm and got my epidural at 11PM. At the same time, my dad and stepmom got there. I tried to sleep at that point but just could not. I started being able to feel the contractions again but not the pain, just pressure. Then the pressure got to be so intense, it was hard to breath through again. I told the nurse and she checked me at 2:30AM and I was 9cm. 

 Everyone waiting on the baby. 


 Trying to sleep.

At 3AM, it was even more intense and hurting so much so the nurse came in to check me. Her face went blank and she said, "Don't push". They called my doctor and she was there within 15 minutes. I started pushing at 3:20AM. Ben was on my left, mom was on my right, Bobbie was taking pictures and dad was up in the corner on my right. With the first push, Ben and mom said they saw her head. With the second push her head was partially out so I sat up to feel it. The third push her head was almost out so I felt again. It was all squishy which was not what I expected. The fourth push, her head was out and I was trying to get out her shoulders. The doctor had to rotate her a bit but with the fifth push she came out. Not that it can be helped but my goal was under 10 minutes of pushing and this was 5 pushes in 9 minutes. She was born at 3:29AM. 

This was while I was pushing (I am sparing you all those pictures).

 Her first appearance.
 
Finally crying. Daddy is cutting the cord.

 
First time holding my baby girl.

 
Daddy keeping a close watch on his little girl

 
So relieved to be done. Now I could eat! 






 Scarlett with Dr. Sun


 
Getting her first bath. 

 
Ben caught me asleep while she was getting her bath. I literally could not keep my eyes open. 

I love my baby girl!

I sat up and watched as they suctioned her because she did not cry right away and Ben cut the cord. Then I got to hold her while they wiped her down. I was exhausted but I was so happy that she was here. I will admit, I had some major anxiety about having her here with us and was so scared of her and everything that was going to change, but she is not scary at all and she is such a good baby. I am so happy with my two babies that even with all the frustrating things that happened the past few weeks, they make me sooooo happy.

Miller is absolutely in love with her. I know that most moms of two say that but I am serious, this boy is in love with his sister. When he wakes up in the morning or from nap, she is the first thing he asks for. If she is crying, he runs to make sure she is okay. He is always covering her up to make sure she stays warm or trying to give her her paci. When I am nursing her, he comes to supervise. He rubs her head and says, "soft". I could not have asked for a better transition.

I am going to post more pictures and the stories from our hospital stay and first few days.


No comments:

Post a Comment